Ok so they are now planted, great adventure this is for us as we have never planted potatoes before.
- We left the seed potatoes out in a cool light place for a few days for the shoots to appear, the instructions said about 1 inch long would be fine.
- The next step was to fill our little grow bags with 4 inches of compost and then dampen down the soil with the watering can.
- Place 3 seed potatoes in each grown bag with the shoots facing upward.
- Next fill the the grow bag up to the 8 inch level covering the potatoes.
- Water the grow bag daily but be careful not to waterlog the soil.
- Wait for the green shoots to arrive above the soil, then when the plant reaches 10 inches above the soil keep topping up the soil a little at a time until soil reaches the top of the grow bag.
- If frost is forecast bring the bags somewhere frost free for the duration.
- The potatoes should be ready to harvest sometime in December. :-)
We also went into our front garden and dug up 2 little trees that our previous occupants planted and Angela is making plans to put a few flower beds.
More to follow …